Best way to improve your search engine optimization is to look at the way you name your files. Search engines like Google give too much importance to file names. You should think what you are going to put in your web page and then give a relevant file name to this page.
Just try giving any keyword in Google search engine and you will find file names highlighted with the keyword you have given. So it simply proves that your file name should have proper keyword.
Naming Style of File:
- The filename should be short and descriptive. It's good to use same keywords in file name as well as in page title.
- Avoid using file names like service.htm or job.htm.
- Avoid more than 3-4 words in file name and separate them with hyphens rather than underscores. Try to use 2 keywords if possible.
Example of File Name:
Below are some file names which should be preferred from SEO as well as from user point of view.
Note that keywords are separated by hyphens rather than underscores. Google sees file names as follows:
seo-relevant-filename as seo relevant filename(good)
But Google sees
seo_relevant_filename as seorelevantfilename (not good)
Extension of File:
It should be observed that .html, .htm and .php and other extensions do NOTHING for your visitors, and they are also a means of offloading some of the work of configuring your web server properly onto your visitors
Some of Web masters think that its a good idea to use filename without using extension. It may help you but not a whole lot.
Lastly, I will suggest the following points in mind before naming your files:
- Use web page file name short, simple, descriptive and related to page content.
- Use maximum 3-4 keywords in your file name and these keywords should be appeared in your web page title as well.
- Using hyphen if needed rather than with underscore.
- Keep the file size fewer than 101K.