Meta Tags have two important things which are the meta description and meta keyword tags. Search engines may display the meta description as part of the search results, but the meta keywords tags should not visible in search results.
Some SEO experts think meta tags are dead. Even so, many of these same experts continue to use meta tags in their sites.
When ranks a page Yahoo says they use the Keyword Meta Tag. So it makes sense to add one for Yahoo and any other minor search engines that still use. In Google ,the Description Meta Tag won't result in a boost in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), but the description might be used for the description for your SERP listings in Google.
Example of meta tags
You can add following in the head section of the web page:
content="KEYWORD1 KEYWORD2 KEYPHRASE1 etc.
about 30 to 40 unique words">
content="An accurate, keyword-rich description
about 150 characters">
Meta Description Tag Tips:
Few important tips for good meta description tags:
- Use keywords in your meta description tag.
- Avoid repeating the words overly often, but try to use multiple syntaxes of your key words.
- Should not be more than 150 characters in a description meta tag of a single web page.
- Use a different meta description tag for each page, because each page is different and stands a better chance of being found if you place a good title and description on it.
Meta Keywords Tag Tips:
Few important tips for good meta keywords tags.
1. Use synonyms.
2. Use unique keywords.
3. No need to repeat any given phrase.
4. You can repeat any word an unlimited amount of time as long as each time it is part of a different phrase.
Robots Meta Tag:
meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
Using above meta tag you can tell to a spider or robot that you do not want some of your pages indexed or that you do not want your links followed.