The large number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity of your website. Backlinks are important for SEO because some search engines like Google, Yahoo,Bing, give more advantage to websites that have a large number of quality backlinks.
For that reason, when search engines calculate the relevance of a site to a keyword, they not only consider the number of backlinks to that sites but also their quality. In order to determine the quality, a search engine considers the content of the sites. When backlinks to your site come from other sites, and those sites have content related to your site, these backlinks are considered more relevant to your site. If backlinks are found on sites which are unrelated content, they are considered less relevant.
Increasing Link Popularity
There are various rules of increasing your web site link popularity. I'm giving some important tips which are easily attainable.
- Submit your website in popular search engines manually. Don't use automated submission.
- List your site in many Open Directory Projects like dmog.org, yahoo.com. Getting listed in these directories will give your site a boost in link popularity and improve search engine ranking in other search engines.
- Provide rich quality content - people will obviously link to your site if you have what they want and nowhere is available.
- Leverage your personal relations with other webmasters. Put your site link on their sites.
- Participate in Link Exchange Program. Try to find top 20 sites doing the same business and contact them for reciprocal links.
- If you are registered in a forum and forum does not have any restriction to keep your site link as your signature then it can help you to increase your site popularity.
- Submit your site to bookmark sites like DIGG, and Stumbleupon etc. Before submitting please read their spam policy.
- Write good articles in blogging sites and give references of your links.
- Keep providing good content to your site visitors. Always try to keep them busy on your site. If possible create forums, newsletters, blogs etc.
Need to spend some dollars for such alternative.
- Spend some money to buy a place on high rank website where you can put your link.
- Use google's Adwords program to drive traffic towards your site.
- Another thing is advertising option to increase the number of hits on your site which will result in your site link popularity.